Safe Money Millionaire is a well-written, quick read about the power of several wealth-building strategies. The premise is how to build wealth, safely, outside of Wall Street.
Kill the Status Quo
Safe Money Millionaire gets right to the point in telling you what it’s about – challenging conventional “financial wisdom” that clearly is not working for most Americans:
- Diversify with mutual funds
- Max out 401(k) contributions
- Keep a high credit score and shop for low interest rates
- Buy term and invest the difference
- Put your money in the market to get a good rate of return
- Defer taxes until later
In fact, this is where the above strategies have gotten the average American:
- Half of workers 55-64 have less than $88,0000 in their retirement accounts
- Trillions have evaporated from 401(k) accounts
- 71% of those aged 45-64 worry about having enough money in retirement
Safe Money Millionaires build their house on a solid foundation. Contractors don’t put buildings on foundations of clay or sand. They use concrete. Why, then, would we be any less careful with our entire financial future?
Defeat the Enemies of Wealth
In subsequent chapters, you learn about enemies of wealth and read some eye-opening facts about each.
- Market loss
- “Average” rates of return can be far from accurate!
- The financial gurus in the media are often wrong or don’t practice what they preach
- In addition to your income tax of up to 20-30% each pay period, you also face additional taxes for nearly every transaction you make
- Tax deferred plans like your 401(k) can actually cost you more in taxes in the long run
- Average Americans can pay up to 34% of their after-tax income in interest
- How to recover most of the money that you pay in interest and keep it in your own pocket
The 401(k) represents an implicit promise to middle-class Americans that they can live off the income they receive from stock ownership, just like the rich do. It is a promise impossible to fulfill; it is the great 401(k) hoax.
Financing Yourself to Wealth
Safe Money Millionaire explains how you can recapture the interest and principal that you are currently paying for cars, credit cards, and loans and put it back in your pocket. It takes some patience and diligence to get started, but once you’ve become your own bank, you start to gather some real momentum in your journey to becoming a safe money millionaire.
The best part about becoming your own source of financing is that you’ll never again be at the lender’s mercy, worrying about credit scores and debt ratios. You will be able to approve yourself!
Supercharging Your Plan
In Chapter 8, the authors explain a powerful strategy called Indexing, where the interest earned on your money is tied to the performance of a index like the S&P 500, but you are protected from in market losses. In other words, you get to participate in market gains, but you never participate in market losses. This chapter is on of the most important aspects of the book. The indexing strategy is one you’ll want to definitely learn about – especially since Wall Street doesn’t want you to know!
Finally, you’ll read about some real life examples of people who have successfully put these strategies to good use. The book concludes with profiles or “normal” people as well as the rich and famous. Notably, you’ll learn about Walt Disney, Ray Kroc (McDonald’s), J.C. Penny, and Doris Christopher (The Pampered Chef).
If you would like additional information about this book and the strategies that is explains, please get in touch with me. I am a qualified Safe Money Millionaire advisor and can work alongside you to determine if these approaches might be a good fit for your particular situation.
If your not quite ready to begin a dialogue, that’s fine. You can check out a series of four videos and instantly receive the first chapter of Safe Money Millionaire at this link.